Ottawa Sportsmen's Club News
June 6, 2003
Carole Williams, Club Reporter
HEARING NOTICE INFORMATION ON H.R. 1472
The Subcommittee on Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife and Oceans will hold a Legislation Hearing on:
H.R. 1006, the "Captive Wild Animal Act", a bill to amend the Lacey Act Amendments of 1981 to further the conservation of
certain wildlife species:
H.R. 1472, the "Don't Feed the Bears Act of 2003", a bill to require the adoption and enforcement of regulations to prohibit the
intentional feeding of bears on Federal public lands in order to end the hunting practice known as
"bear baiting" and reduce the number of dangerous interactions between people and bears, on
Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 10:00 a.m., in Room 1324 Longworth House Building
(the Morris K. Udall Hearing Room.)
Witness will be by invitation only.
Those invited to testify include:
- The Honorable Members of the U.S. House of Representatives
- John D. Dingell (MI-15)
- Howard P. "Buck" McKeon (CA-25)
- James P. Moran (VA-08)
- The Honorable Gale A. Norton, Secretary, Department of the Interior
- The Honorable Ann Veneman, Secretary, Department of Agriculture
- Mr. John Baughman, Executive Vice President, International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- Mr. Syd Butler, Executive Director, American Zoo and Aquariom Association
- The Honorable Ron Marlenee, Director of Legislative Affairs, Safari Club International
- Mr. William P. Horn, Director, Federal Affairs, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance
- Mr. Paul Irwin, President, The Humane Society of the United States
- Ms. Tippi Hedren, President, The Roar Foundation
- Dr. Charles Jonkel, Great Bear Foundation
Subcommittee on Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife and Oceans
- Mr. Wayne T. Gilchrest, Maryland, Chairman
- Mr. Frank Pallone, New Jersey, Ranking Democrat Member
- Don Young, AK
- W.J. "Billy" Tauzin, LA
- Jim Saxton, NJ
- Mark E. Souder, IN
- Walter B. Jones, NC
- Eni F. Faleomavaega, AS
- Neil Abercrombit, HI
- Solomon P. Ortiz, TX
- Madeleine Z. Bordallo, GU
- Richard W. Pombo, CA ex officio
- Nick J. Rahall, II, WV, ex officio
- Fisheries management and fisheries research generally, including the management
of all commercial and recreational fisheries, the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act,
interjurisdictional fisheries, international fisheries agreements, aquaculture, seafood safety and fisheries
- Wildlife resources, including research, restoration, refuges and conservation.
- All matters pertaining to the protection of coastal and marine environments, including estuarine protection.
- Coastal barriers.
- Ocean engineering, including materials, technology and systems.
- Coastal zone management.
- Marine sanctuaries.
- U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- Sea Grant programs and marine extension services.
- Cooperative efforts to encourage, enhance and improve international programs for the protection of
the environment and the conservation of natural resources otherwise within the jurisdiction of the Subcommittee.
- General and continuing oversight and investigative authority over activities, policies and programs
within the jurisdiction of the Subcommittee.