Ottawa Sportsmen's Club News
January 1st, 2008
Judy Glandon, OSC Membership Secretary
Dues and News Letter 2008
As we begin a new year it is time to remind you to remit your membership dues to the
Ottawa Sportsmen's Club before April 1, 2008 to keep your membership from being interrupted.
Please fill out the attached form in its entirety and mail $25.00 to the membership secretary
at your earliest convenience.
OSC HIGHLIGHTS OF 2007:
In the last year we have remained very active, and the willingness of the membership to
volunteer for the many activities and events is very much appreciated. THANK YOU very much for
you participation in YOUR club.
- We continue the sponsorship of Tracks magazine in area schools. Tracks is a weekly conservation
oriented study aid for the 5th and 6th grade students. Approximately 400 students receive this fine
natural resource magazine in the classroom each week during the school year. Each year the Club receives
numerous letters of thanks for this program from students and teachers alike. Tracks is published by the
Michigan United Conservation Clubs with which the Ottawa Sportsmen's Club has been affiliated for more
than 30 years.
- Our Club continues to support a conservation library for the L'Anse, Baraga, and Sacred Heart School
libraries. This program provides funding for conservation oriented books, videos, and periodicals for
- We sponsor hunter safety instruction for numerous youth each year in order that they can learn to
enjoy outdoor shooting sports properly and safely as well as qualify to purchase licenses. We have five
members that have been certified as instructors for this program. The Michigan Department of Natural
Resources along with our certified instructors conduct a class at the clubhouse and grounds for area
youngsters and those adults who have not previously held a Michigan hunting license. For each class
we can accept 40 to 50 participants who wish to learn how to become safe and responsible hunters.
Last year, we had 2 adults and 75 kids participating with an age range from 9 to 46.
- We conducted the 7th annual weeklong shooting sports camp for area youth 14-19 years of age in
June, with 12 participants (10 boys and 2 girls). More than 100 teens have now benefited from learning
the fine points of the shooting sport from a nationally recognized coaching staff and members of the
Club who are certified firearms instructors. This will continue to be an annual event at the Ottawa
- Our Junior Pistol Team placed third overall in the National Shooting Championships for their age
class at Camp Perry, Ohio, in July with nine youth participants. This opportunity for National
competition is a great incentive for a number of area teens.
- Our Club awarded $1500 in scholarships to area students and granted L'Anse Sacred Heart School
$400 for Kid's Discover magazine.
- Our facilities at the Club on M-38 and at the Courtney Lake property continue to serve as outdoor
classrooms for area school functions.
- Our Range Committee continues to improve the facilities on our rifle range at the Club grounds
west of Baraga on M-38. We are currently installing a turning target system for timed pistol competition.
The OSC range is the only range in Baraga County which is open to the public and is used by area law
enforcement officers and formal sport shooting groups such as the Upper Peninsula Muzzle Loaders Association.
- All shooters are welcome to use the trap range Wednesday evenings, spring through fall. Many shooters
from the surrounding counties enjoy this evening of fun shooting. Youth 17 and under need only supply their
own shells with all other expenses being absorbed by the club.
- A successful 46th Annual Turkey Shoot was held the last Sunday in September. This event is the number
one source of income for the OSC. With indoor range, outdoor range, and trap shooting keeping people
challenged with firearms, and raffles and auctions on the inside of the clubhouse, a large number of
people had a very good time.
- The U.P. Muzzle Loaders used the grounds for monthly Black Powder shoots January thru May on the
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- The membership meetings are held on the first Monday of each month at 7:30. We have a steak
cookout before our regular membership meeting May through September. Steaks can be purchased at
the club with all other meal items being furnished. All members and the public are welcome to attend.
- The annual picnic is held at Courtney Lake on the first Sunday in August. Meat and beverages
are provided. Bring a dish to pass, table service, and a lawn chair and enjoy the day.
- The Board of Directors meeting is on the last Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. All members
are encouraged to attend and be involved.
- Please check the club website www.ottawasportsmen.org for events and actual dates. Also watch
the newspapers for meetings and event notices.
2008 OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- President: John Stenvig, 353-6786
- Vice Pres: Harm Bennink
- Secretary: Russ Weisinger, 353-6859
- Treasurer: Mike Faucher, 353-7646
- Sgt at Arms: Jim Hulkonen, 524-7189
Board of Directors:
- Charlie Beck, 353-6200
- Joe Dyke, 353-8505
- Ed Fugenschuh, 338-2660
- Jay Glandon, 288-3392
- Ron Granroth, 523-4320
- Mike Harkonen, 353-7268
- Dick Hiltunen, 353-6694
- Ron Moilanen, 353-7479
- Jack Lehto, 353-6684
2008 Dues Notice
2008 DUES NOTICE
Complete this form if you have changes and return to the
Membership Secretary at the address below by April 1, 2008
If you are willing to serve on a committee or help with any events or activities
please specify if you have a preference. _______________________________________________________
YOU ONLY NEED TO COMPLETE THIS ADDRESS PORTION OF THE FORM IF YOU HAVE CHANGES
EXAMPLE: If your mailing address does not match the one on your newsletter envelope,
please send a correction to the membership secretary.
Mailing Address _____________________________________________________________
City ____________________________________ State __________ Zip Code ___________
Please make your check for $25.00 payable to the Ottawa Sportsmen's Club and send to:
Judy Glandon, Membership Secretary, 32185 Emily Lake Road, Toivola, MI 49965
If you have questions concerning your membership status, Judy can be reached at (906)
288-3392 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org Dues checks may also be dropped off at the clubhouse.
Each member will receive this notice so if your dues have already been remitted or you are a
Lifetime member which is designated by the "L" on your address label, please use this form
only for any address changes or comment.
Comments or Suggestions: ____________________________________________________________________